The Ready Business Toolkit series includes hazard-specific versions for earthquake, hurricane, inland flooding, power outage, and severe wind/tornado. Toolkits offer business leaders a step-by-step guide to build preparedness within an organization. Each toolkit contains the following sections:
- Identify Your Risk
- Develop A Plan
- Take Action
- Be Recognized and Inspire Others
Planning Makes Sense
Businesses Face a Variety of Hazards
- Natural hazards like floods, hurricanes, tornadoes, and earthquakes.
- Health hazards such as widespread and serious illnesses like the flu.
- Human-caused hazards including accidents and acts of violence.
- Technology-related hazards like power outages and equipment failure.
What You Should know
- Know what to do before, during, and after a disaster.
- Identify your risks. Know what disasters are most likely to affect your business.
- Develop a workplace emergency plan and be sure employees know it.
- Create a crisis communications plan to keep in contact with customers, suppliers and employees during and after a disaster.
- Test and practice your preparedness plans.
- Have emergency supplies available at the workplace.
- Check your insurance policies to ensure you have enough coverage.
- Listen to local officials.
Graphics & Outreach Materials
For more engaging content, use a hashtag, include emoji’s, and attach graphics to social media posts. Below is a collection of graphics you can share with the below text.
- Business Emergency Preparedness Graphics (link)
- Business Earthquake Toolkit (pdf)
- Business Hurricane Toolkit (pdf)
- Business Inland Flooding Toolkit (pdf)
- Business Power Outage Toolkit (pdf)
- Help your business survive an earthquake with our Earthquake playbook: https://www.fema.gov/media-library/assets/documents/98056 #ReadyBusiness
- Flooding is the most common natural disaster. Help your business survive a flood with our business inland flooding playbook: https://www.fema.gov/media-library/assets/documents/152383 #ReadyBusiness
- Help your business survive a hurricane with our hurricane playbook for businesses: https://www.fema.gov/media-library/assets/documents/152383 #ReadyBusiness
- Business disaster planning tip: save important docs to the cloud for quick access after a storm #ReadyBusiness
- 40% of businesses never recover after a disaster. Make a plan today [VIDEO] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2U0EFYKGn50&feature=youtu.be #ReadyBusiness
- 62% say they do not have an emergency plan in place for their business, learn how your business can prepare www.ready.gov/business #ReadyBusiness
- WATCH: What is business continuity plan and how can it help your business? https://www.fema.gov/media-library/assets/videos/80069 #ReadyBusiness
- Business Owners: Make sure employees know where to find the first aid kit. Other tips for your business: https://www.ready.gov/business #ReadyBusiness
- Don’t let your business end up in a dumpster. Make a flood safety plan today: www.ready.gov/business #ReadyBusiness
- Businesses: are you prepared for a disaster? Take a free business preparedness assessment today at https://www.readyrating.org/How-It-Works #ReadyBusiness
- Be sure you know your workplace emergency plan, including multiple ways to exit your building #ReadyBusiness
- Business disaster planning should take an “all hazards” approach. Learn more https://www.ready.gov/planning #ReadyBusiness
- Has your small business analyzed its vulnerabilities and the potential impacts of a disaster? Plan ahead before a disaster strikes. https://www.ready.gov/planning #ReadyBusiness
- Small businesses: conduct a risk assessment to identify potential hazards and the impacts a disaster could have. https://www.ready.gov/risk-assessment #ReadyBusiness
- Does your business have a disaster plan in place? Ready’s business continuity planning suite can help prepare https://www.ready.gov/business-continuity-planning-suite #ReadyBusiness
- Businesses: Once you have a disaster plan in place practice it with your employees. https://www.ready.gov/business/testing #ReadyBusiness
- Training employees and testing your business’ disaster plans are key to things running smoothly during and after a disaster: https://www.ready.gov/business/testing #ReadyBusiness
- Providing assistance and support for employees should be part of a business’ preparedness program. Learn more: https://www.ready.gov/business/implementation/employee #ReadyBusiness
- Business owners: Check your insurance policies to be sure you have enough coverage before a disaster strikes. #ReadyBusiness
Earthquake “QuakeSmart” Toolkit
Unlike other natural disasters, earthquakes occur without warning and cannot be predicted. Most of the United States is at some risk for earthquakes, not just the West Coast, so it is important that you understand your risk, develop preparedness and mitigation plans, and take action.
Many parts of the United States, including Atlantic and Gulf of Mexico coastal areas, Hawaii, parts of the Southwest, Puerto Rico, the Pacific Coast, and the U.S. Virgin Islands and territories in the Pacific may be directly affected by heavy rains, strong winds, wind-driven rain, coastal and inland floods, tornadoes, and coastal storm surges resulting from tropical storms and hurricanes. The Ready Business Hurricane Toolkit helps leaders take action to protect employees, protect customers, and help ensure business continuity as well.
Inland Flooding Toolkit
Most of the United States is at some risk for flooding, so it is important that organizations, businesses, and community groups understand the potential impacts.
Power Outage Toolkit
While a Power Outage may not seem as dangerous as a tornado or earthquake, they can still cause damage to homes, businesses and communities. Power Outages cost the U.S. economy $20 billion and $55 billion annually and continue to increase each year (CRS, 2012).
Severe Wind/Tornado Toolkit
It is not just in Tornado Alley. Most of the United States is at some risk for severe wind and tornadoes
Ready Business Workshop “How-To” Guide
This “How-To” guide explains how to plan for and deliver effective Ready Business workshops.
Ready Business Videos
The Ready Business Program provides leaders with the tools to plan, take action, and become a Ready Business. The program addresses several key parts of getting ready, including Staff, Surroundings, Physical space, Building Construction, Systems, and Service. These videos briefly explain each concept.
- Ready Business Program Staff/Employee Management Video
- Programa Ready Business Video de Empleados (en Español)
- Ready Business Program Physical Surroundings Video
- Programa Ready Business Video de Alrededores Físico (en Español)
- Ready Business Program Building Construction Video
- Programa Ready Business Video de Construcción (en Español)
Crisis Response and Communication
- How will your business communicate with customers, suppliers and employees in the event of a disaster? Create a crisis communications plan today: https://www.ready.gov/business/implementation/crisis #ReadyBusiness
- Businesses: plan ahead to recover lost data in the event of a disaster: https://www.ready.gov/business/implementation/IT #ReadyBusiness
- Evacuate? Shelter in place? Lockdown? What’s your plan for employees if a disaster strikes? Learn about protective actions to take here https://www.ready.gov/business/implementation/emergency #ReadyBusiness
- How will you evacuate employees in the event of a disaster? Having a good warning system is step one. https://www.ready.gov/business/implementation/emergency #ReadyBusiness
- An act of violence in the workplace could occur without warning. Learn how to train employees for such a disaster. https://www.ready.gov/business/implementation/emergency #ReadyBusiness
- Will your business’ disaster response plan work? Test your emergency preparedness program: https://www.ready.gov/business/testing #ReadyBusiness
- Disasters and Emergencies
- Make a Plan
- Get Involved
- Ready Business
- Ready Kids
- National Preparedness Month
- Social Media Toolkits
- Flood Safety Social Media Toolkit
- Hurricane Seasonal Preparedness Digital Toolkit
- Pet Preparedness Social Media Toolkit
- Children and Youth Preparedness Social Media Toolkit
- Wildfire Safety Social Media Toolkit
- Winter Weather Safety Social Media Toolkit
- Severe Weather Safety Social Media Toolkit
- Extreme Heat Safety Social Media Toolkit
- FEMA App Social Media Toolkit
- Financial Preparedness Social Media Toolkit
- Business Emergency Preparedness Social Media Toolkit
- Holiday Safety Social Media Toolkit
- Life Saving Skills Toolkit
- Resolve to be Ready Social Media Toolkit
- Preparedness Messaging Calendar
- Order Publications
- Social Media Accounts
- PSAs and Videos
- Preparedness News
- Preparedness Portal
- About Ready
- Contact Us
- Local Emergency Management